https://simal.ing/
Column - Museu Nacional Soares dos Reis
Loading...
Lapidary

Column

18th Century

Architectural sculpture

Inventory sheet

This column, with a smooth cylindrical shaft topped by a conical capital, is one of five from the refectory of the Convent of Santa Clara in Porto.
Founded in the 15th century, this convent was suppressed following the dissolution of the Religious Orders in 1834. The estate was divided into three lots: one with objects of local interest for the Museu Municipal do Porto, another with objects for the Janelas Verdes Museum (currently the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga), while the last group of objects were auctioned. The five columns were part of the lot destined for the Museu Municipal do Porto.