The Soares dos Reis National Museum presents, under the heading The Piece of the Month – The Public’s Choice, the oil on wood «Cancela Vermelha», by Silva Porto. The commented sessions take place on the 30th of August (1:30 pm) and the 31st of August (6:30 pm). Registration ongoing.
Silva Porto (1850-1893)
Oil on wood
The piece belonged to the collection of Conde do Ameal (Dr. Ayres de Campos) and was sold at the collection’s auction in 1921.
It is part of the Honório de Lima Donation (DHL), made in favor of the Porto City Council in 1941. Elisa Adelaide Bessa Lima, widow of Eduardo Honório de Lima, in compliance with her husband’s wishes, signed, with the Porto City Council, on May 17, 1941, a deed of donation of 21 paintings by Silva Porto.
The set of 21 works that constitute the Honório de Lima Donation were associated with the General Inventory of the Municipal Museum of Porto from 1938/39, the collection of which was deposited at the Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis in 1940/41.
António Carvalho da Silva Porto (1850 – 1893)
After completing his studies at the Academia Portuense de Belas-Artes, he left for Paris in 1873 on a state pension to study landscape painting. In France he painted in Barbizon, the mythical birthplace of Naturalism, and in Auvers he met Daubigny, one of the masters of the movement.
He exhibited at the Salon in 1876 and 1878. Settling in Rome, he traveled with Marques de Oliveira to various cities in Italy.
In 1879 he returned to the country. The landscapes he presented at the historic exhibition of the Sociedade Promotora das Belas-Artes in 1880 introduced the naturalist aesthetic to Portugal. Around him, a group of young painters gathered for the annual “Exhibitions of Modern Paintings”, which Columbano celebrated in 1885 with the collective portrait The Lion Group.
In the last years of his activity, he developed a painting of regional types and customs, which would be explored in a more exuberant way by Malhoa and Carlos Reis.