he Soares dos Reis National Museum, housed in an 18th-century building known as Carrancas Palace, was the object of a thorough renovation and expansion, according to a project by architect Fernando Távora.
Fernando Távora started the remodeling projects and works in 1988, divided into seven phases and each covering different wings of the Museum: the permanent exhibition galleries, the management building, the educational service, the cafeteria, the Noble Floor, the reserves, the extension for temporary exhibitions, the auditorium and the Rainha Dona Amélia Garden.
Fernando Távora (born August 25, 1923) is the author of structuring works of the architecture process in Portugal, among which stand out the Residential Unit of Ramalde (1952-60), the house of Ofir (1957-58), the Market in Vila da Feira (1954-59), the Municipal Park of Quinta da Conceição in Matosinhos, the Cedro School in Vila Nova de Gaia (1958-60), the Municipal Building in Aveiro (1963-67), the Pousada do Convent of Sta. Marinha da Costa in Guimarães (1972-85) which received the National Prize for Architecture (1988), Amphitheater of the Faculty of Law of the University of Coimbra (1993-2000), Extension of the Assembly of the Republic, in Lisbon (1994) -99).
Távora was also distinguished with the Architecture Prize from the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation, the Europa Nostra prize (for the house on Rua Nova in Guimarães), the Tourism and Heritage Prize 85 and the career prize from the 1st Biennial of Architecture and Engineering Iberoamericana de Madrid, in 1998. They awarded him the Order of Sant’Iago de Espada, the gold medal of the city of Porto, the gold medal of the city of Guimarães, the gold medal of the city of Viana do Castelo, the medal of gold from the city of Matosinhos.
Fernando Luís Cardoso Meneses de Tavares e Távora (1923-2005) received a degree in architecture from the Porto School of Fine Arts in 1950. Having become an assistant at this school, in 1962 he was invited to become Professor after taking tests to become Associate Professor at the Superior School of Fine Arts of Porto. He was chairman of the Installation Committee of the Faculty of Architecture of the University of Porto, of which he was Full Professor.